It so happens that every thing has its own special origin and the country in which they first began to produce. No exception is such an interior object as curtains.
Due to a special technology of weaving fibers, Black out is a fabric, which is able to shade the room by 95-100% and does not let the sunlight in.
There are two versions of the origin of blackout curtain fabric.
- There is a version that this wonderful material was produced in Finland. After all, it is a country where white nights, as in St. Petersburg – a common phenomenon. And although such nights are really beautiful and wonderful, nevertheless night sleep is necessary for the human body. And the Finns have found a way out of this situation: they have created a wonderful fabric, which will protect them from the light of the white nights.
- There is also another assumption, according to which, the first prototypes of such curtains were especially popular during the Second World War. Residents of towns and cities were frightened by constant bombardment from aircraft. And to remain unnoticed, they covered their windows with a black cloth. Thanks to this the pilots did not notice them. Thus people saved their lives.
In today’s market curtains sold a huge variety of choices of blackout curtains.
Now, knowing the origin of the fabric for modern blackout curtains, it is time to understand the purpose of this piece of interior
Everyone knows that sleep is important for health, especially if it is full. Scientists have found that if there is sunlight in the room during sleep, then the special hormones responsible for vigor will not be produced.
The peculiarity of the fabric is that the 1st layer reflects sunlight, while the 2nd layer does not let light into the room.
But there is a way out – to hang blackout curtains in the room. They perfectly protect from light, do not burn out, look beautiful with the rest of the interior of the room and tulle.
The difference between blackout and ordinary curtains
But even ordinary blinds do a good job of protecting from light. So what is the difference between the curtains made of this modern and unique fabric and the curtains made of ordinary material? There are several differences.
If you choose blackout curtains for your windows, you will receive not only an elegant element of the interior, but also a benefit for the room and your family.
- Reliability. Curtains do not burn out. Also they do not deform during washing and ironing, and keep their original appearance for a long time. They practically do not set dust. Shelf life more than 5 years!
- No crumpling. It’s a big plus! All other types of curtains crumple even after ironing, and curtains made of blackout material after washing can not even be ironed. It is enough just to hang up. It is very comfortable.
If you want to protect your room from the harmful effects of sunlight, then blackout material is the best option.
- Thermal insulation. These curtains can protect not only from sunlight, but also from the heat!
- No allergic reactions. In the age of modern technologies and materials not every thing can be hypoallergenic, which cannot be said about blackout curtains. These drapes absolutely do not cause allergic reactions. And all thanks to the fact that they are made only from quality materials.
- Great choice. In any textile store you can find a huge selection of these curtains. The most different styles and designs.
They offer up to 99% protection and a reduced degree of blocking.
Blackout curtain styles:
You can check the light permeability yourself with a bright lamp and determine the degree of light penetration.
Variants of blackout curtains in the interior
In the bedroom
Despite the name, blackout curtains do not have to be dark or black at all. The decorative side can be any color, with any pattern and print.
Roller blinds – lifting, separate and straight, tightly fitting to the window.
- Beige color. Will supplement a room in any style (from modern to classical). It successfully combines with walls and furniture in white, gold and brown colors. This color soothes and adjusts to rest.
- White. This color and its shades (snowy, pearly, etc.) are always appropriate (regardless of the style of the room). Curtains of such shades always fit into any interior without problems. This color calms the nerves.
- Gray. This color is perfect for a room with dark/cool tones. It calms and puts you in a sleepy mood.
- Black. This color as well as white goes with any color of wallpaper and furniture.
It is suitable for lovers of minimalism.
For your information! In rooms with a small area black curtains should be avoided. They visually reduce the space and begin to get on your nerves.
- Curtains in the color of the walls and furniture. The fashion trend of the 21st century is to do the whole room in one color. In such an interior, everything perfectly harmonizes with each other. The room looks gentle, graceful and elegant.
- Contrasting curtains. A great option to add a “highlight” to the room. It will supplement and diversify any austere interior. Correctly chosen contrasting curtains will “revitalize” the room with gray, white (generally gloomy) walls.
- Curtains with prints and pictures. These blinds will perfectly incorporate into the monotonous and sad interior of the bedroom. They will literally “dilute” the boring environment of the room.
When choosing curtains, you should have a clear idea of the effect you want to obtain.
The fabric is non-combustible, does not shrink when washing, does not change shape or color, and also meets fire requirements.
- You can choose a color of curtains that will be a contrast to the walls. In a child’s room it will look bright and unusual. Such curtains will be a kind of “highlight” in the room of children.
- But it is also not forbidden to hang curtains in a child’s room under the color of the interior. This will emphasize a certain elegance of the room.
- Especially popular are curtains with the image of favorite cartoon characters (princesses, mermaids, superheroes, transformers, etc.). Otherwise such curtains are called photo blinds. They do have a beautiful design, but the price is not insignificant. This will really appeal to the child and create a festive atmosphere in the room.
- And, of course, no one cancels the curtains with the usual drawings and prints. They will not stand out too much and look harmoniously with the rest of the interior of the room.
Blackout fabric should be washed only in warm water. So it will serve for several decades.
Usually, curtains of the roll type are sold, and this limits the possibilities of decorative design of window openings.
- Basically, for the kitchen suitable curtains of bright colors (orange, yellow, lettuce – all these colors and their shades are welcome). Thanks to these bright colors the kitchen will be much more comfortable.
- No one cancels the curtains with prints and drawings. But still it is better that the background of the curtains was bright, saturated. After all, the kitchen is a warm, bright, some kind of magical and cozy, and most importantly, a homely place.
How to sew blackout curtains with your own hands at home
First you need to decide on the fabric. First, choose its texture.
The material of blackout curtains consists of three layers, which together allow you to completely block the sunlight.
The basis of the textile fabric is a synthetic fabric, it usually comes in white. This layer faces the window.
- Flax is an environmentally friendly option. Such a fabric has a surface that imitates a linen weave. But there is one huge disadvantage – curtains made of such fabric quickly burn out.
- Street. This is a special kind of fabric, designed for the use of curtains on the street. Basically, the fabric blackout street is used to make advertising banners.
- Original. Consists of polyester. Such a fabric has high wear resistance, does not crease, is resistant to dirt, fading, easy to care for and pleasant to the touch. But because of these high-tech properties, the fabric blackout original, and curtains made of this material have a considerable cost.
- Non-combustible. This ability is achieved in two ways: the first – treatment with special chemicals, the second – weaving into the fabric of a special non-combustible thread.
Blackout curtains can be absolutely any color.
As a side note! It is better to buy fabric with woven thread, because over time the impregnation loses its properties.
Then you need to choose a style: classic or Roman. Classic blackout curtains are sewn as well as ordinary curtains, so in this article we will consider the production of Roman blinds.
Necessary materials, to make Roman blinds blackout with their own hands:
- centimeter tape (or tape measure);
- glue for the fabric;
- sewing accessories (thread, needles, pins, etc.);
- cords (for decoration);
- screwdriver and screws;
- a wooden bar or metal pipe for the bar.
The use of Roman blinds blackout on plastic windows in the house is fully justified.
Step-by-step instructions for making
- Measure the window openings.
- Cut 2 strips of fabric of the same size, while making allowances for seams 5-7 cm.
- Sew them on three sides, sewing on the bottom of the weights (you can make a separate pocket for it).
- Turn out and gently iron.
- Staple to strengthen a wooden bar (or insert a metal bar).
- Above the window (or on the frame) with a screwdriver to make fasteners.
- Insert the rod with curtains, put through the decorative cords.
Lightproof blackout curtains for their discreet style and compact attachment are considered universal.
As a side note! If the fabric remains, it can be used to make a small lambrequin over the opening.
Pros of blackout curtains
- Completely does not let any light through.
- Has the function of sound insulation (only these blinds can protect from unnecessary noise!)
- It also has thermal insulation! They do not let the heat or the cold in.
- These blinds keep their shape and do not shrink during the first and subsequent washes.
- Does not burn with certain treatments.
- No creasing at all! Also does not shed when washing.
- Absolutely hypoallergenic.
- Good abrasion resistance (this is a huge plus! Especially when it comes to curtains for children’s rooms).
Curtains attached to plastic windows allow you to visually expand the space of the interior.
But with all these pluses of course there are also minuses
- All the same, curtains made of such a fabric are synthetic. And for fans of everything natural, this is definitely a big disadvantage.
- Curtains made of this material are quite expensive.
- Even with a huge choice of colors, shades, prints and patterns of curtains on the textile market, still blackout curtains have some limitations in design.
Maintenance of the fabric is very simple. It is unpretentious and does not require dry cleaning or expensive means.
Recommendations for the care of curtains made of such a modern and unusual fabric:
Wash at 40 degrees, put on a small number of revolutions when wringing.
Although drapes made of this fabric do not crease, perfect smoothness can be achieved with an iron. But please, pay attention to temperature conditions!
It is better to dry the fabric or ready-made blackout curtains in the shade.
Do not soak them – this can reduce the protective properties.
Most buyers who have purchased such curtains are satisfied with their quality. They note that blackout curtains fully, 100 percent cope with their main task – to protect from sunlight. Also, more than 80 percent of consumers pointed out the ease of use and durability of the blackout material.
Blackout curtains are a universal variant, which can easily fit into any interior, from classic to high-tech.