Vinyl flooring is great for baths and kitchens because it is waterproof and very easy to clean. Vinyl is an inexpensive flooring, it looks attractive and has a soft core that makes the floor softer and warmer when you walk on it, unlike tile or hardwood flooring. With proper care and cleaning, your vinyl flooring can retain its original shine and newness for years to come. The following will present the 3 steps of vinyl floor care. Still, if you can’t get the results you want, we suggest that you use a professional apartment cleaning service from our cleaning company.
Keeping your floor clean
- The dirt you bring your boots into the house is very damaging to vinyl floors. Sand, pebbles, and substances that are cleaned and sprinkled on the streets can easily destroy the protective layer of vinyl and it will get scratched and yellowed very quickly. Therefore, it is best to wipe your shoes thoroughly when you enter the apartment, or better yet, take them off.
- You can also put carpeting or put protective mats in the places where people walk around most often.
- Sweep every day. Sweeping away dirt and dust daily is very important, because if left to its own devices, debris acting as an abrasive will quickly destroy the top layer of vinyl.
- You can use a broom, a mop with a soft pile, or a vacuum cleaner.
- Dirt should be swept not only from the floor, but also from under furniture, along baseboards and other interior elements.
- If you spill something, be it orange juice or just a glass of water, try to wipe up the stain right away. Don’t leave the liquid to dry on its own. Dried stains from sugary drinks are especially difficult to fight. But even just a spilled glass of water can ruin the coating. Clean up any spills right away, and your floor will look like new for a long time.
- Use a vinegar solution for everyday floor cleaning. Vinegar is a completely harmless substance that is suitable for everyday wet cleaning of vinyl floors. Vinegar itself is very mild and not aggressive, unlike other detergents. It gives the floor a glossy shade. To prepare a cleaning solution, you will need to mix a glass of apple cider vinegar with 4 liters of water.
- The acetic acid will gently scrub the floor without leaving a mark, giving the vinyl a shiny finish. Once the floor is dry, the vinegar smell is gone.
- If you want your floor to look as good as new, add a few drops of jojoba oil to the solution.
- If the vinegar method doesn’t work for you, you can buy a specialty vinyl floor cleaner instead. Just make sure that you choose the right product for your floor.
- Do not take the product with wax.
- You can buy such a product at any hardware store.
Deep cleaning of vinyl flooring
- If the solution with vinegar does not give the right result, then add a couple of tablespoons of soap to it. The soap will help you remove the stuck dirt with ease. Use a nylon pile brush for a more thorough cleaning.
- You can remove scuffs with jajob oil or WD-40. Apply the product to a soft cloth and rub on the scuffed area.
- Unfortunately, this method is only suitable for scuffs and light scratches. For the removal of deep scratches – there is no single method. In this case, it is easier to replace the entire tile.
- To remove food, wine or juice stains, mix a little baking soda with water so you have a thick paste. Take a cloth, soak it in the baking soda, and rub it in until the stain disappears.
- You can use alcohol to remove ink and makeup stains. Soak a piece of cloth in alcohol and rub the stain. Alcohol easily removes these types of stains from vinyl without damaging it. To remove nail polish, try using a nail polish remover. It is best not to use acetone, it can damage the structure of the vinyl.
- If the stain cannot be removed with a baking soda cloth, take a nylon brush with soft bristles and try to remove the stain with it. But don’t use too stiff bristles – this will ruin the vinyl.
- After you remove the stain, rinse the area with clean water. So that the residue of the dirty liquid doesn’t get absorbed back into the surface.
What not to do
- There is no need to rub too hard. If you rub too hard with a vinyl brush or a simple toothbrush, the spot will lose its shine. Start removing the stain with the gentlest tools and as the stain becomes more embedded, choose tools of non-aggressive hardness.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners or tools. It is important to choose the right type of cleaner for your vinyl flooring.
- Don’t get the floor too wet. If the vinyl gets too wet, you can damage the adhesive that glues the vinyl to the floor base. Water will seep into the cracks between the tiles, accumulate in them, and eventually damage the adhesive bond. Use exactly as much water as you need for cleaning. And after cleaning, try to wipe the floor with a dry cloth.
- If you have furniture on vinyl floors, make sure you have special cushioning pads glued to the furniture legs. They are sold in hardware stores. Avoid using furniture with casters, as they damage vinyl surfaces the most.
Be careful when moving the furniture, so as not to jam the vinyl, do not drag the furniture across the floor.
The benefits of deep cleaning vinyl flooring
Deep cleaning vinyl flooring is a process that can bring a number of benefits to your home. Not only will it make your vinyl flooring look better, but it can also improve your home’s air quality and make it easier to clean in the future.
When you deep clean your vinyl flooring, you will remove all the dirt, dust, and grime that has built up over time. This will restore the flooring’s original appearance and make it look like new again. Additionally, deep cleaning will remove any allergens or pollutants that may be hiding in the cracks and crevices of your flooring. This can improve your home’s air quality and help to reduce allergies and asthma symptoms.
Finally, deep cleaning your vinyl flooring will make it much easier to clean in the future. The dirt and grime that has built up over time can be difficult to remove, but deep cleaning will remove all of it and make future cleanings much easier.
If you are looking for a way to improve the appearance, air quality, and cleaning ease of your vinyl flooring, then deep cleaning is the solution for you. Contact a professional floor cleaning service to get started.
Deep cleaning vinyl flooring is a great way to keep your floors looking new and clean. It is a process that involves using a special cleaning solution and a mop to clean your floors. This process is recommended for floors that are dirty or have a lot of built-up dirt and grime.